Sunday, February 16, 2014

a second BJP for 2014

I'm calling this the first entry in my "jeweled" BJP.   I had originally planned to use items from my various stashes, special things to me, things from WIPs, things from past projects that I've taken apart, etc. etc. etc.  for the 2014 BJP.  Turns out I discovered I have way more ingredients for projects than I have months in the year.  SO finding myself with way more energy and creativity  on hand than normal, I am starting a second BJP for the year.  This one will be displayed the same way, in a separate bead tray "frame" for each month.  I just painted the tray today so no pic of how it looks in place yet.

This is January's jewel.  The main focus is a beautiful vintage green brooch that I received from my friend Julie back right before I started chemo.  Julie was so supportive to me at that time, she made me some really cool head bands to wear around scarves, she made some barrettes for me to clip onto scarves that I wore over my bald head, all beaded, all in my favorite colors, all in styles she knew I loved.   When I had surgery, it was right before Christmas in 2008 and she took my daughter and baked Christmas cookies all day with her and listened to her music and just hung out with her.   I did most of my Christmas shopping on line that year, but she took care of what I couldn't do.  After Christmas, she took me to have surgery to get my port put in when my husband had to work plowing snow, which was no small thing as the hospital where I had surgery is an hour and a half away.  She packed blankets and a big comforter so I wouldn't get cold on the way home and warmed up the car.  As I'm writing this and remembering it, I am getting choked up because she did so much for me and was always there when I needed her, even though she actually lives 200 miles away!  

I made this brooch into a BJP because unfortunately it started to lose some of the jewels and I was afraid actually wearing it I would just lose all the jewels eventually.  I actually was wondering where those little jewels of green have ended up and if anyone picked one up and wondered about it, or if they have just been swept away in heaps of dust.  Just thoughts of fancy... 

This piece includes green beaded "vines" that I took off an old BJP that I didn't care for, and little Swarovski crystal flowers, also off an old BJP piece.    This 2014 piece ended up way better now than it was.   Maybe because I made it with lots of memories and love and feeling in it. 

Anyway, this is for my friend Julie, who is more like me than any sister I never had, who has a heart of gold, is compassionate and a great and wonderful friend. 

Thanks Julie.  
 

4 comments:

Lies Koster said...

Pam, I really like this piece! Good to see the story "behind" it. Nice to have a friend like Julie. <3 huisvlijtigLIESje.blogsot.com

pam T said...

Thank you Lies!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

It's beautiful, Pam, and such a touching story!

Liz said...

What a beautiful piece and a touching story! You are blessed to have a friend like Julie. I can definitely see the love in this work.